Grievance Procedures

If you have a concern regarding accessibility or suspected disability discrimination, you may contact the ADA Compliance Officer to discuss informal resolution of your concerns or mechanisms for filing a formal complaint.  The campus is committed to resolving complaints informally whenever possible.  However, there are procedures available to students, staff, faculty and visitors for filing formal complaints of disability discrimination or failure to provide reasonable accommodation.  When the campus receives a formal complaint, it coordinates handling of the complaint through the appropriate process.  The campus takes complaints seriously and acts promptly to resolve concerns and provide remedies where appropriate.

The following campus resources can provide further information about complaint resolution and grievance procedures: